Harborough SpencersFC
Lastest results/ Game reports
Lastest results/ Game reports
Tables and Fixtures
Top scorers
Photo Album
Related Links
How to find us
Contact Me

23November 02

Harborough Spencers 1 Crick 2

Spencers run of poor results followed on this week as visitors Crick took all three points against the run of play. They went ahead early in the first half when Spencers failed to pick up a runner from the midfield. The home team then dug in and began to put on the pressure, playing good football in patches despite the pitch not being at its best. The equalizer came via a penalty, which the captain Simon Wilson stuck away with ease. They could have taken the lead forcing the keeper to make several good saves. Despite the game being so one sided, Crick stole the points scoring a scrappy goal late on. Although now firmly placed at the bottom of the league, Spencers have been consistently unlucky as effort and quality of their football still reaching high standards.

9th November 02

Harborough Spencers 0 Weedon 1


On the back of a good result last week Spencers looked forward to carry the same form into todays match against Weedon. The heavy pitch made it a hard game for both sides to take control of the ball. Weedon scored early, latching on to a back pass beating the keeper and passing into an empty net.

The Harborough side rallied at half time and came out determined to get the equalizer. Despite the conditions, Spencers played well in patches putting together some flowing moves but were still unable to score. Weedon really felt the pressure in the last 20minutes of play, Spencers won a succession of corners and other chances but still failed to find the net. The game finished 1-0 to Weedon who would have gone home feeling lucky to take all 3 points.  


2nd Nov 02

Harborough Spencers 1 Brixworth 1

Poor conditions didnt deter Spencers from their best game of the season against good opposition at Brixworth this week. They went behind early in the first half when a corner found the net by an own goal.

In the second half Spencers proved their metal coming close several times before Jason Vye hit a crisp shot to score following a flowing move. Although Brixworth had a few good attempts on goal, Spencers keeper who kept the door firmly closed. It was Spencers who could have taken all three points after being awarded a penalty. The captain Simon Wilson stepped up, but he saw his placed shot go inches wide of the post. It ended 1-1 in a competitive but fair match and Spencers can now feel they have turned a corner and carry many positive points from the game.    


26th Oct 02

Harborough SpencersFC reserves 0 Milton Reserves 2

This week Spencers were able to put a strong side out against Milton but still had problems finding the net. Slick passing and possession football created a handful of chances for the Harborough side but they were unable to find the finishing touch. It was Milton who took the lead breaking the offside trap and sliding home past the keeper.

Further attempts were handled well, the defence looked solid and the keeper made some fine saves. In the second half Spencers began to shine, despite the score line they were in control and looked impressive both going forward and defending. Advances on goal from Spencers were still fruitless and Milton scored their second against the play. Although the game was lost, the performance on the field could have been Spencers best and they should carry the attitude with them next week in the county cup.

19thOct 02

Harborough Spencers 0 Potterspury 3

This week Spencers had the long journey to Potterspury. The trip seemed to be too far as Spencers struggled to get out of the blocks. Two early goals from Potterspury took the sting out of the game, a late penalty to make it 3-0 proved to be the only highlight of the second half.

Harborough Spencers Reserves 0 Kettering Nomads 6

The reserves suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of Kettering Nomads. 4-0 down at half time there was no way back for Spencers but stern defending in the second half only leaked a further two goals. Under strength and out played the reserves could still find optimism in the fact that key players are due back next week.


12th Oct 02

Harborough Spencers 2 Moulton 2

This week Spencers took on high flyers Moulton in what was their toughest game so far this season.  The Harborough side started brightly against a well-organised Moulton defence. Ross Mitchell put Spencers ahead 15 minutes into the game. Good work from Nick Penny in the midfield put Ross through who guided the ball past the advancing keeper under a strong challenge from behind.

Spencers were let off for some questionable defending, Moulton unable to score from the penalty spot after a foul in the box.

At the half Spencers were now comfortable and growing in confidence. In the second half the balance of play evened out and both teams went close to scoring drawing good saves from each keeper.

Persistence paid off when Ross Mitchell scored his second embarrassed the Moulton keeper with a looping shot from 35 yards. 2 nil up and only minutes to go Spencers seemed to be in control.

The points ended up shared though as two late goals from Moulton took the shine off an otherwise good performance from Harborough.


HarboroughSpencers Res 1 Potterspury 1

A bare 11 faced a much-improved Potterspury this week. Both teams could only carve out a few chances and at the half the points were shared 0-0.

Potterspury broke the deadlock minutes into the second half scoring from a corner. Spencers drew level when Chris Piazza slotted home on the end of a Jim Burton cross. The goal proved to be an important one as the gamed ended 1-1 and earned Spencers a much-needed point.  


5thOct 2002

Harborough Spencers 5 Evington 7 after extra time.


Spencers came up against Evington this week in the first round of the county cup in a 12-goal thriller. It looked as though an early exit was to come as they found themselves 4-0 down at half time. But a fight back started by Dean Mitchell saw confidence grow. Goals followed from Nick Penny, Jim Burton his first for the club, made a game of it. Hard work going forward was rewarded late on as Ross Mitchell came off the bench to level the score.

It looked as though Harborough would win the tie when Chris Church edged the score to 5-4 in the first period of extra time. But it was Evington who had all the luck scoring again to draw the score line and then netting twice more to leave the score an unbelievable 5-7. Although beaten, Spencers can draw on the positive side of their game, they are still creating good chances and have quality players still be come back from injury. 



Harborough Spencers Reserves 2 Corby Pegasus 3


The first chance of the game came early on for sticker Adam Manton, a cleaver chip going close. Minutes later Harborough saw a penalty appeal for handball not given, although this would have been a harsh decision a second and clear-cut foul inside the box should have been given. Again play was waved on and it was Pegasus who scored first, netting after a favourable bounce put them through.

The second half saw Pegasus become the dominant side and went two up rather fortunately when a deep cross-drifted in helped by the wind.

Substitute Simon Wellard immediately made his presence felt putting in a good cross for Adam Manton to head home. Spencers equalizer came from a Dave Nibloe free kick with little over 10 minutes to go.

Spencers were again denied another penalty, this time the clearest of all but with the referee still on the half way line, his assistant was reluctant to put his flag up against his own men. It was Pegasus who won the day scoring a scrappy goal near the end. 


28thSept 02

Harborough Spencers 2 Weedon 3

Unlucky Spencers travelled to Weedon with high hopes on the back of a good performance last week. Although going behind on early on

impressive play in the first half was rewarded with goals from Simon Wilson and Dean Mitchell, making the score 2-1 at the half and in control.

Weedon began to apply the pressure but it was Spencers who were creating the chances to seal the game.  They were made to pay the price for several missed opportunities when Weedon drew level with only ten minutes to go.

Worse was to come as Spencers let go of any hope of points losing another goal in the final minutes.  Poor finishing and at times poor defending are to blame for another loss and a tricky start to the season. Must do better will be the call from all concerned.


Harborough Spencers 2  Bugbrooke St Micheal 0


Spencers came away with their first points of the campaign, beating Bugbrooke 2-0. With a depleted squad and a sole striker in Gary Woodhouse, Spencers were able to deal with an impressive start by Bugbrooke.

More pressure came but solid performances from the defence and keeper shut out all attempts on goal. Spencers went ahead with a superb solo effort from Max Harris, dancing around several defenders before slotting home. 

After the half the pattern of play continued with Spencers only able to hit on the break. They got their second after James Marks gambled on a poor back pass and was able to round the keeper, for his first of the year



Harborough Spencers 2 Heyford 2

This week saw Spencers travel to Heyford with a bare 11 and no first choice keeper.

Overall, the managers comment was excellent as each player put in 100% for the full 90 minutes.

Spencers should have gone in the lead early after S Wilson found himself in the clear and unselfishly squared the ball to T Brown who should have done better putting his shot wide from close range.

Against the run of play it was Heyford who took the lead, braking down the right flank, the cross leading to a tap in at the far post.

After the half Heyford began the press Spencers defence but couldnt find a way through to get their second. It was the Harborough side that scored the level the game, T Brown this time finding the net with a low shot into the corner.

The goal seemed to stun Heyford and the balance of play went with Spencers. But again Heyford went in front hitting on the break.

It was Ian Storer who levelled the game again with a little over 10 minutes to go, firing in a shot from 20 yards. Spencers then dug in and held on for the draw with the defence again proving solid.   



Harborough Spencers Reserves 0 PotterspuryReserves  1


The reserves this week faced Potterspury at home. Spencers soon took control of the game with Potterspurys attacking efforts easily dealt with. But as the half progressed it was Spencers who were unable to create chances.

 The second half continued until, with only 20 minutes to go, the tide began to turn. Potterspury were able to make chances, but the keeper looked unbeatable making several good saves.

Spencers went close when the left back failed to keep down a free header from a corner.

With only 5 minutes remaining Potterspury took the points, scoring after an initial mistake in the midfield. The reserves will look back feeling they should have been easy winners against an unimpressive Potterspury side. 



14th Sept 02


Harborough SpencersFC 3  Kettering Nomads 1


With four games gone and still no points, it was vital that Spencers improve on what so far had been a poor start to the season. This week they entertained Kettering Nomads at home.

It seemed that previous results were forgotten with Harborough playing their best football so far this season. This spell however, only lasted for the first 10 minutes of the game and it was no surprise that the tactic of defending from the front was once again ineffective.

By the half, Harborough found themselves a goal down at 1-0 and were looking unlikely to score. But with 15 minutes gone Ian Storer converted a free kick just yards outside the box. Struck well, it easierly beat the keeper going in the top corner.

Encouraging play followed with Harborough winning several corners.

The pressure paid off with captain Lee Whitehill heading in his first goal of this season following a well placed cross from Simon Wilson. With only 6 minutes from the end Wilson put his name on the score sheet again with a header beating both defender and keeper. The score now 3-1 to Harborough, it looked that this week the points were in the bag. Minutes later Marcus Kierle was almost rewarded for his tireless performance during the game, finding himself in the clear, a clever chip over the keeper just shaving the far post.

With their first win of the season Spencers rose from the bottom of the league and can now leave behind the poor start so far.



7th Sept 02

Harborough Spencers 1            Harpole  6



This week Spencers entertained Harpole looking for their first points of the season so far. The first minutes saw both sides playing good football with Harborough having a bright start.

They nearly went ahead 20 minutes in with Nick Penny steering wide from a corner. Confidence grew and Harborough began to press the play by defending from the front. This tactic went against them with Harpole hitting on the break and found men over at the far post to take the lead. Spencers nearly levelled the game when Nick Penny broke free, he was able to round the keeper but saw his shot hit the side netting.

Shortly before half time Harpole doubled their lead making short work of the home sides defence crossing from the by-line for an easy tap in.

At the half it, was Harborough who had to ask themselves how Harpole were able to have men free so often. Harpole emerged the brighter of the two sides and netted again just after the restart. But a Matt Jones header gave Harborough a lifeline making it 3-1. This was quickly cancelled out when Harpole again broke away and rounded the keeper, this time the striker made no mistake in scoring.

It got worse still, with Spencers once again pressing Harpoles defence leaving holes and a goalmouth scramble ended with another goal to the visitors. At this point 5-1 down Harborough actually seemed to lift their play and looked the better side. The passing became better and chances were made, although none converted. This spell lasted for ten minutes before Harpole found the net again for the last time rounding off a miserable afternoon for the home side. With Spencers once again unable to take any points they will look at chances missed and defensive errors that lost them the game. Now firmly at the bottom of the league the manager was keen to remind players that training is now paramount. 


31 August02 Rhode 4 Harborough Spencers 0


This weekend saw Spencers travel to Rhode looking for their first points of the season. Although the first half was entertaining few chances were made and at the interval the points were shared.

The pattern of play continued until 18 minutes to go when Rhode broke the deadlock converting a corner to make it one nil. The lead was doubled minutes later after good build up play the Rhodes striker placed a good shot into the bottom corner.

It got worse still for the Harborough side with an attempted clearance finding the net for an own goal. With only a minute to go Rhode scored a forth to seal the game.

The score line flattered the home side with Spencers unlucky not to put away the chances they had.

 With three games and no points Spencers play Harpole at home this Saturday 7thSept needing to take the points to get off the bottom of the league.


Harborough Spencers Reserves 1 Brixworth Reserves 4


The first game of the season for the reserve team saw a similar result, as Spencers were unable to keep the goal tally down. After 20 minutes A.Cockrell was given too much space and was able to loop his shot from outside the box to put the visitors ahead. Although now on the back foot the Harborough side began to hit back with some attacking football, but were unable to level the game before halftime. Brixworth clearly came out on top early in the second half and after combining some one touch football and attacking play they were rewarded with their second. A flowing move ended with a shot by J.Wiggins palmed onto the cross bar and in.  Harborough were again able to regain their shape and looked to get back into the game but the distribution from the midfield was poor.

Pressing again, Brixworth forward D.Lockey hit the third with a neat chip to the far post.

With time running out Spencers pushed forward in an attempt to rescue the game and new signing Adam Manton scored on his debut rounding the keeper to pull one back.

But with a defensive error leading to a penalty, Brixworth made it four after M. OCallagan converted from the spot.

On the whole the game was not a total loss with high levels of commitment from Spencers facing an unusually strong Brixworth side.

24 August02 , Harborough Spencers 2 - Rushden Rangers 3
Newly promoted Rangers got off to the better start creating chances and forcing the home side onto the back foot. Harborough were unable to do the simple things and forced errors upset the balance and attitude of the players.
Rangers went ahead midway through the first half with a pinpoint cross finding their forward between two defenders. Mark Randal, in goal could do nothing about the floated header which found the net into the left corner.
Despite going behind Harborough tried to get back into the game, but couldn't convert the few chances they created.
Rangers doubled their lead shortly before halftime leaving the home side with all the talking to do in the dressing room at half time.
In the second half,  substitute Chris Church made an impact straight away by sloting home his first goal of the campaign after 20 minutes. He could of made it two after good running by Nick Penny set him up for a drive on the edge of the penalty area which just shaved the post.   
Marcus Curle finished a good move by beating the keeper at his near post with 15 minutes to go. Harborough were then in control and seemed to be the more likely to take the points.
The party was spoiled with 5 minutes to go when Rangers were able to hit Spencers on the break. With men over they were able to fire into an empty net
despite the efforts of the keeper.
It was a poor first half, but the harborough side did show promise and commitment in the second half. In the end a draw would have been the fair result but will take heart to Cold Ashby this Tuesday night where they hope to land their first points.